Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Individual reflection - Deepa

My group and I were pretty excited when we got the option of going to Little India. We looked forward to our usual practice of going for threading and eating awesome Indian food. But this time round, although we did eat awesome Indian food, we ended up learning so much more about this place than we actually expected. I have been going to Little India for as long as I can remember but I have never realised that there was so much history behind this place until now.

What I thought would be an easy trail to complete, eventually ended up being an eye-opening one for me. Every road name had a history to it and I was quite shocked to realise that Buffalo Road used to be a cattle rearing area and Race Course Road used to be a horse-racing area. On top of that, it was truly amazing to find out that this area, which is now predominantly patronized by Indians, used to be a melting pot for the various religions. The presence of the Church of True Light, Abdul Gafoor Mosque and even the Sakya Muni Buddha Gaya temple made me aware of how culturally rich this place used to be way back in time.

Despite being burned by the sun, drenched by the sudden rain and drawing weird stares from onlookers, with the completion of this trail, I was satisfied with how much more the girls and I knew about Little India. The sights of fortune-tellers and colourful sarees,the sounds of blaring music and temple bells and the smell of an array of spices makes Little India distinct and unique to itself and I am very satisfied that I now know the rich history behind this place.

Looks like Little India is not so little after all!

Deepa

No comments:

Post a Comment